In Enrollment and Student Services, the term “Strategic Planning” is used to refer to the entire planning, assessment, reporting, and resourcing cycle, which is summarized in the model depicted and described below. Following the model is an overview of organizational levels and timelines for each phase of the cycle.
Strategic Planning Model
This model was designed to:
- Align planning across organizational levels to support university goals and metrics
- Identify goals with corresponding assessment measures at each organizational level
- Link resource allocations to reporting and assessment processes
In this model, the University Mission and Strategic Plan Goals “feed down” to inform the division mission and goals, and in turn the mission and goals of each unit and department in the division. Likewise, the strategies identified for goal attainment at the division level inform the strategies implemented in each unit and department, and strategies at each level are continually assessed for effectiveness. (See “Planning” for more information)
The results from continuous assessment of strategies are reported and “feed up” from the department and unit levels, to be reported in aggregate at the division level, and to inform assessment of progress in achieving University Strategic Metrics. (See “Reporting” for more information)
This model also reflects how professional standards inform the mission of each department, and how action items produced through the self-study process become strategic priorities. (See “Assessment” for more information)
Finally, this model reflects the process by which resources are allocated, as a result of strategic priorities identified at the department and unit levels, and approved at the division level to be submitted as recommendations for the University Operating Budget. (See “Resourcing” for more information)
Strategic Planning Levels
Strategic planning occurs in ESS across organizational levels designated as units with corresponding departments, which are organized according to the chart (and summarized in text) below for the purposes of planning, assessment, reporting, and resourcing.
- The Administration and Budget unit includes two departments; Associated Students Bookstore and Child Development Center.
- The Counseling, Health, and Wellness unit includes three departments; Counseling Center, Prevention and Wellness Services, and Student Health Center.
- The Enrollment Management unit includes five departments; Admissions Office, Financial Aid Services, New Student Services and Family Outreach, Registrar’s Office, and Veterans Services Office.
- The LGBTQ+ organization functions at the unit level, and will be expanded in future years to include corresponding departments.
- The Student Engagement unit includes four departments; Associated Students, Campus Recreation Services, Leadership and Community Engagement, and Viking Union.
- The Student Life unit includes three departments; Disability Access Center, Office of Off-Campus Living, and Student Life Office.
- The Student Success Initiatives unit includes four departments; Academic Advising Center, Career Services Center, Student Outreach Services, and Western Success Scholars.
- The University Residences unit includes one corresponding department, Residence Life.
- The Western Athletics organization functions at the unit level.
Strategic Planning Timelines
The timelines for each phase of the strategic planning cycle are based on the seven-year accreditation cycle of the University. Core planning, assessment, reporting, and resourcing requirements by academic year are represented in the chart below, as well as the academic quarter during which each requirement is expected to be completed.
Timelines for each phase of the strategic planning cycle can also be found on the respective page for each phase, along with additional information and resources.
Questions about any terms used on this page?
Other questions about planning, assessment, reporting, or resourcing in ESS?
Contact Matt Bryant, Division Assessment Consultant, at 360-650-2982 or firstname.lastname@example.org