Banquet Permits

The Vice President’s Office is required to review and approve applications to serve alcohol at events on campus (including Lakewood) or at Western-sponsored events off-campus. Only after that approval is given may a Banquet Permit be sought through the Washington State Liquor Board website.

Guidelines for Purchasing Alcohol

Alcohol may be purchased with university funds under the following conditions:

  • Institutional approval and a state-issued Banquet Permit must be obtained to serve alcohol on university property, or at Western-sponsored events off-campus, regardless of funding.
  • If a fee is being charged to attendees for an event that is intended to cover the cost of alcohol, the beverages should be paid for from the same fund where the revenue is collected and must use account code E287, this might be:
    • Chart 1 if the fee is collected in a self-sustaining fund (FSxxx) or auxiliary fund (FXxxx)
    • Chart 2 if the purpose of the event is fundraising and contributions are collected in a chart 2 fund
  • If a fee is NOT being charged for the event, alcohol cannot be purchased with Chart 1 funds and the event planners must use:
    • Chart 2 fund and account code E263
  • Approved payment methods include:
    • Reimbursement to WWU employee who purchased alcohol with personal funds (receipt must include employee's name)
    • Purchase Order (PO) if accepted by vendor
    • A OneCard may be used for alcohol purchase and to pay for the state permit only, regardless of funding source

Obtaining Permission to Serve Alcohol

First: Obtain approval to serve alcohol from WWU’s Division of Enrollment & Student Services (After clicking on the link, select "save" to save the file to your desktop.)

Second: Purchase a Banquet Permit on-line from the state

State Banquet Permit information

If you need assistance with the WSLCB application process, please call the Licensing Customer Service desk at (360) 664-1600.

At your event, you will need to have a copy of the approved WWU “Application for Banquet Permit to Serve Alcohol” in your possession. When you purchase your banquet permit online, an e-mail copy of it is sent to the local liquor enforcement office. You will need to print out your WSLCB Banquet Permit and you must sign and post your WSLCB Banquet Permit at the location where you will be serving the alcohol at your event.

WWU departments may ONLY use a WWU Foundation fund (Chart 2) to pay for the $10 WSLCB Banquet Permit. Whether using a WWU p-card or a personal credit/debit card for reimbursement later, prior approval from Western Foundation’s Financial Manager is required. E-mail: for pre-approval.